As you can read in the official Creator 4.9.0 release announcement, Qt Creator now uses the KSyntaxHighlighting Framework for providing the generic highlighting. This is a nice step for the wider adoption of this MIT licensed part of the KDE Frameworks. And this is not just an one-way consumption of our work. The framework got actively patches back that make it more usable for other consumers, too, like Kate ;=)
Today I did run again into an old problem: You need to archive a lot small and large files inside a single Git repository and you have no support for Git LFS available. You did this several year and now you ended up in a state where cloning and working with the repository is unbearable slow. What now? Last time I did run into that, I archived the overfull repository to some “rest in peace” space and used git filter-branch to filter out no longer needed and too large objects from a repository copy that then will replace the old one for daily use.
During my web site upgrade, I reviewed the old stuff I had hosted on my long gone web sites but still archived here locally. An interesting thing I stumbled on are the KDE 3 -> 4 porting screenshots of Kate I saved in 2005. They actually show pretty nicely how far we have gone since 2005 with our development stack. The KDE 3 -> 4 transition was a large hassle. It did take weeks of work just to get Kate back into an usable state.
Several years the kate-editor.org & cullmann.io pages got hosted on a Hetzner root server. To reduce costs and switch away from old hardware they got now moved to an OpenVZ based virtual server at Host Europe. On both servers CentOS 7.x is running, it did always provide a stable foundation for the services these sites use. As with any server move in the past, I always need to search how to best move the data/config from one server to the other.
I use the “Hugo Coder” theme for this page. After creating the privacy page (Impressum), I did take a closer look at the generated HTML code to confirm I didn’t miss to state things there. I thought, given Hugo generates plain static HTML pages, I would be on the safe side. But unfortunately, the theme I use includes some external resources, like the Google web fonts… I now patched that out in my fork of the theme and provide local copies on my own server.
After first using the Hermit theme, I moved to the Hugo Coder theme to have a nicer front page and menu at the top. Unfortunately that needs Hugo in the “extended” version. The binary one can download on https://github.com/gohugoio/hugo/releases doesn’t run on CentOS 7, unlike the normal variant you get there (too new libstdc++ needed). One has to recompile it to get that working. To make it easier for others, to do so, just: